What is the process to build a custom home?
We can get you started in the right direction!
- Make a list of what you would like in your home. Look through magazines and tour homes. Consider having a Pinterest page of ideas or a computer file with screenshots of things you like. Clip pages from magazines.
- Determine your budget and get pre-qualified for your permanent loan. If you plan to get a loan, most lenders require that the homeowner have 20% of the total cost of the loan as a down payment. For some people, this means a paid off piece of property.
- Look at land available in your area. Once you have narrowed down your land choices, please consult with us. A lot of the cost of building a custom home is driven by attributes of the land. Rocks, slope, and the location of utilities can drive up costs. Check for the availability of a water system or wells in the area before buying land.
- Talk to us!
- Ask us for recommendations for lenders, and drafters or architects.
- Begin the design process with a drafter or architect.
- Speak to your lender about qualifying for a construction loan.
- Once your plan is finalized, we can fully bid the project, agree on a price, and sign a contract with us.
- With a signed contract, final plan, and budget breakdown, you can close on the construction loan. Then you will be placed on our construction schedule in one of our next available openings.
- Finally, we will apply for permits and begin building your dream home.
The timeline varies a lot. Some people move through the above process and are placed on our building schedule in 4 months, while others take a year or more.
Consult with us and a real estate agent to determine a good timeline for selling your current home. The home building process is a marathon not a sprint. The custom home building process can easily take 15 months or more, from step 1 through moving in to your finished home.